Sunday, July 27, 2008

Who do we Vote for?

A couple of friends of ours that have a blog write thoughtful sentiments on Sundays…reflective things that focus on religious aspects of life and things that are going on in our world.

I’d like to try something kind-of like that too!

Something has really been weighing on my mind a lot lately. The state of our world…our country….our futures as Christians…..the futures of our children. We’re in the big middle of an election year. Who do we vote for?

Democrats & Republicans are arch enemies….rivals in every sense of the word. Why? Is it their beliefs?…the issues they fight for? Lets see…Go to: www.democrats.org and www.rnc.org, (You can look up each party’s beliefs and political issues there).

In all honesty, both parties want to tackle the same issues. Who isn’t going to say that they want to make education and healthcare better, or boost the economy? It’s in the fine details as to how each party is different. I’m just not educated enough (yet) to explain what those differences are. So…...please go to the websites and look for yourselves.

I just want to know what is going to be done to make the “ISSUES” better….the War (how long are we going to stay? Are my boys going to be drafted?), Education (should I enroll my kids in public, private, or home school?) Healthcare (are costs going to keep going up at such a pace that we’ll have to take out 3rd and 4th jobs to cover expenses?), Minimum Wage (is the cost of living going to be raised enough so that someone making min. wage can afford a place to live, food to eat, healthcare, gas for the car, and a little extra for savings?), Social Security (will it be there when I hit the designated age, or should I plan on saving back every cent I earn now at 31 so that I MIGHT-MAYBE be able to squeak by in my old age?)…..the list goes on and on. I want our world to become a better place. I want to know that my children are going to have a GOOD & SAFE world to grow up in. As a parent, that’s what I want for our country…to become better, not go backwards and become worse.

I know what I think and feel and to be honest, I can’t truly claim to be of any party at the moment. I’ve heard it said before “What party would God choose to be part of?”…I don’t think that God would join any of them. I think that his brand of “politic” (if we can even use that word in the same sentence as God) is what it always has been, to love one another as he loves us...to be good to one another…to look out for each other…to turn the other cheek when someone wrongs us and to forgive freely. God did give us the ability, though, to devise this democratic government that we live under. He had to have seen what it would become. We have to trust that we have the wisdom with his help to make the right decisions where our country is concerned.

Well…, I don’t see a big hug-fest between the Democrats and Republicans in our near future, so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what our country decides to do come November. All I know is that it’s a BIG decision…one that will shape the rest of our lives and our kids’ lives. We need to make completely informed choices, so everyone, please find out anything and everything that you can about each candidate. Until then, we’re in this thing together! Let’s make it count!

1 comment:

  1. It really doesn't matter who you vote for because there is no difference between Republicans & Democrats. Both are greedy and listen to only those with deep pockets. They could care less about the common folks, that is until it is election time when they need your vote to get elected. Too bad they didn't listen to George Washington back when the U.S. was founded. He was against the party system altogether.

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0