Thursday, October 23, 2008

I love Halloween!!!

I absolutely love Halloween! The reason why? Maybe it's because it comes during one of my most favorite seasons of the year.....maybe it's because I LOVE candy......maybe it's because my mom always made it special for me when I was little....maybe it's because that's the only time I ever got to dress up as a witch year after year after year!!!

When I think of Halloween, I don't envision evil things and people,........I think of CANDY!!!!! I see it as a fun time for kids to dress up and get a sugar high! I experienced several different ways of celebrating Halloween at my Church in Elizabethton when I was growing up. We did have costume parties....one year, we all wore biblical costumes, another year, we created a make-shift "Heaven" instead of a Haunted House....it was only in 1 room of our fellowship hall, but it was different and interesting! One year, we hosted a "non-violent costume" party. I think we just finally went with letting the kids wear whatever they wanted to because the Church felt like it was just better to have the kids in our fellowship hall having fun than to have them running out in the roads.

No matter what the take on Halloween and it's origins may be, for me it was always just a special time. When I was little, we lived in Florida and from what I've been told, it wasn't a good idea to take your kids trick-or-treating in my area because people were being mean to kids and messing with the candy to make the kids sick. Mom would sometimes take me to the area Mall, but usually, we just stayed home and I got dressed up in my witch costume, we carved a pumpkin, and mom would make me some yummy Peanut-Butter Pinwheel Candy! YUMMY!!! It wasn't until we moved to Elizabethton that I actually got to go around in neighborhoods and get candy! My Grandma lived in the West-Side Elementary School neighborhood and nearly everyone there would hand out candy. When my nieces got big enough to take around, I sometimes made their costumes and went with them. I really enjoyed doing that.........

Now it's Creston and Mackie's turns!!! We don't really live in an area that has a "neighborhood" in it. I think our road is one of the few populated roads on our mountain that is off of the main one. Even then, the houses are far apart. We usually hit several houses on the mountain and then call it a night, but this year, we may also try to take the boys to the area Mall.

I've made their costumes each year. For Creston's first Halloween, he was a Pumpkin....
The next year, he was a Scarecrow,

last year, he was a Pirate and for Mackie's first Halloween last year, he was a CANDY CORN!!!

This year, Creston will be a Ghost and Mackie will be Frankenstein (or he'll wear the Pumpkin costume if he decides to hate the Frankenstein "hat".) I just absolutely LOVE Halloween and love seeing it through the eyes of my kids!!!!

Hope you like my Halloween picture at the top of the blog!!! It's a Charles Wysocki Print!!!!! (I also LOVE Charles Wysocki!!!!! Mom and I got into working the puzzle-forms of his artwork! We have TONS of those puzzles!!!)

So...........................Happy Halloween Week, everyone!!!!! Hope you scare the candy out of lots of people!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0