Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ernest Warren Bishop 1921-1996

Today would have been my Daddy's 88th Birthday.
It's been snowing since yesterday and we've got nearly 3-4 inches on the ground. When Daddy was still alive, he and I would hope and hope for snow on our birthday since mine is in December and his is in January. Sometimes it would snow, and sometimes not....

This go-round, it snowed for mine AND his!!!

My Daddy was a really interesting and sweet little man. He was quirky, but that's what people liked about him. He loved life and loved to learn. He could debate with the best of them, and often would give our preacher (Brother Norman Cox) a run for his money on biblical and faith issues. He was right around 55 when I was born...often he was mistaken for my Grandfather. I think his older age allowed him to be more laid back with me as I grew up...until I became a TEENAGER!!! At that point...I believe I got (a bit) on his nerves. I had just turned 19 when my Daddy passed away on 1-2-96. Since then, I have realized on many occasions that my Daddy was a wonderful man who knew so very much about so many things. When I was younger, I would ask him questions about my schoolwork, and he would give me the "long" answer. I learned quickly to go to mom, but now, I wish that I had been more patient with him...he had so much to tell.

So.......for you, Daddy, I love you, and Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet tribute, Martha. I never really knew what to think of him, but he was always kind toward me. Beautiful pics. Hope Mark makes it to work on safely today. We stayed home from church b/c of ice...no snow, though.

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0